Aubrey’s birth was straightforward. I originally had a planned caesarean section booked in for September 1st as she was due on the 11th but Steve and I knew she’d come in her own time, just like Eden did.

Cue August 23rd at roughly 11:30pm when Aubrey broke my waters, I woke up thinking “here it is, I’ve finally pissed myself.” (As I wasn’t allowed to work on my pelvic floor during pregnancy to ensure I didn’t go into premature labour). My waters broke with Eden so I knew what the feeling was like. I woke up Steve and went to roll over and out of bed when I heard the popping sound, “it’s my waters” I said. Steve went from a sleepy haze to alert in a nanosecond. “Are you sure? What about your mucous plug? Should you call the hospital?!”. “I’ll do it on the way, hurry and get me lots of towels. Pack the car! Mucous plug?? Have you been reading?!” I shouted from the bathroom as Steve went back and forth between the house and car.

On the way to the hospital you could sense the excitement and nervousness that lingered between us, especially with Steve asking if I was okay or having contractions every five minutes and then asking me why I wasn’t having contractions. I had called the hospital and they had great knowledge of who I was as I had been in there that entire week with decreased fetal movement (scariest week of my life) and told me to present at the birthing suites. We arrived about 12:30am and might I add just before the hospital turn off a car had come across from the other side of the road and almost hit us, with Steve having to swerve almost up onto the gutter to get out of harms way (my mind was everywhere else at the time but thinking back now…what the fuck?). I was still having no contractions but Aubrey continued to fidget and broke all my sacs of water, eventually I ended up rhetorically saying screw it and walking about the ward with no underwear or pants as I was sick of changing every two minutes (there really is no dignity left when you have birthed tiny humans).

After reading my records and calling my Obstetrician, a midwife came back in and said “considering you’re not having any contractions, Lyndal has told us to book your cesarean in for 8:00am. Please let us know if they start as you’ll need to go in for an emergency, otherwise try get some rest”. This was at 2:00am on August 24th, which meant us meeting our baby girl was only six hours away. I sent Steve home to have a decent sleep and I laid there like a child awaiting Christmas morning – for the life of me I could not sleep, not even for a second. At 7:00am I was prepped for my surgery and Steve had arrived back at the hospital, they showered me with a special solution and I was given all sterile clothes to wear.

Being wheeled into the preparation room was bringing forward such a mix of emotions. Steve showing a mix of nervousness and excitement and me just feeling everything and crying…damn hormones. I met with all the staff that were helping our obstetrician Lyndal with the surgery and was prepped with IV lines and oxygen. It was time, I was taken into theatre for my spinal block and catheter. As they poked and prodded at my back the midwifes and nurses kept me busy with questions, calming my nerves. After that was done Lyndal walked in and gave it to me straight, like she always did. “I didn’t want to tell you while you were pregnant because you had enough going on, but I WILL take out your uterus today if it means saving your life.” (If you’ve been keeping up to date with my blog you’d know why otherwise FYI I have a uterine AV malformation). At this point I was struggling to comprehend everything, I just wanted our baby here, safe and in my arms. Breathing. Alive.

“Alright, what’s Bubs name going to be?” A midwife said as Lyndal got to work and Steve and I sat behind the curtain impatiently waiting. “Aubrey Eden Serone” we said in unison. “That’s so lovely! Giving her her big sisters name as a middle name.” I heard someone say, my heart melted at the thought that even on this new journey more than just us were remembering our first daughter. It was getting really close now, I could hear them talking. “Do you want to watch?” Lyndal asked. “Yes!”. She told the staff to hurry and take down the screen, then to hold my head up so I could watch our daughter come into the world and take her first breath. With Steve who was giving me a head rub that turned very quickly into patting it like a dog we watched as our daughter exited my womb and cleared her lungs at 8:54am. “She’s beautiful” I cried with her. They then positioned a very large TV in front of me so I could watch Steve cut her cord and be wrapped for cuddles. I cried and cried and well, cried some more. We did it! Just shy of two years since the loss of our Eden, here we were. Parents.

I cuddled Aubrey skin to skin while I was in recovery and then transferred back to the maternity ward when I could start to feel my legs. Steve dressed Aubrey and changed her very first nappy (haha, sucker) while I watched on with a new found love and appreciation. The first 24 hours weren’t fun, I hadn’t slept since my waters broke, there were twins across from me who took turns at crying all night and I wasn’t able to reach into Aubrey’s bassinet to get her in and out and sometimes had to wait up to forty minutes for a midwife to come in just to have her handed to me. By 3am I was exhausted so they took her from me until she was due for her next feed but I still couldn’t sleep.

The next day I had regained full movement of my legs and had my catheter taken out so I could get up, walk around and shower. We had let our family and close friends know of Aubrey’s arrival and had a couple visitors before I was discharged (yes, you read that right. I was discharged 1 day later. Cesarean births are usually a minimum of 3-5 night stay) but they were happy with my progress and to be honest I’m not sure if I could have taken another night without Steve, or more of those twins crying. So with that, Steve, Eden, Aubrey and I left the hospital and came home to the newest, most exhausting and happiest journey of our lives. Taking our rainbow baby home and even being greeted with a rainbow as we left hospital, it was meant to be.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s